It is Earth Day today and schools around Kuwait are celebrating it in their own little way. It is very important to teach your children about the importance of reducing, reusing and recycling and best way to teach them that is to start at home and school.
Here are a few tips that you and your family can implement for a greener home.
- Turn off lights when you leave the room.
- Unplug unused chargers and appliances.
- Be careful not to leave the water running when you brush your teeth or wash the dishes.
- Use cloth instead of paper to clean your kitchen.
- Recycle, recycle, recycle. Sort out your trash into paper, metals, and glass. Set up four separate waste baskets, and make sure the contents end up in the appropriate recycle bins. You can then have a recycling company come by every week to pick up your trash.
- Reuse scrap paper. Print on two sides, or let your kids color on the back side of used paper.
- Support your local economy and shop at your farmer’s market. TSC have an amazing selection of locally grown fruits & vegetables as well as the yummiest locally produced dairy products.
- Instead of using grocery stores’ disposable plastic or paper bags, bring your own reusable tote bags, which are available for sale at many grocers like TSC and other retailers such as Le Green Sac.
- When you go out for coffee, bring a reusable insulated mug.
- Use a reusable envelope for school notes.
- Use a reusable water bottle & lunch box instead of Ziploc bags.
- A fun outing that you can take your kids to today would have to be the Reuse Exhibition at ACK from 5pm – 9pm. They will be showing the documentary One Day On Earth at 6.30pm at ACK’s auditorium.
Always remember a little change can make a BIG difference.
Check out our previous posts about recycling and being environmentally friendly.