What should I do if a bee or wasp stings my child?

Two of my friends kids got stung by Bees this week and it got me wondering if (god forbid) one of my kids got stung by a Bee, I would have no clue what to do.

What should I do if a bee or wasp stings my child?

A bee’s stinger works like an automatic pump β€” the longer it stays in, the more venom it releases β€” so get it out as quickly as you can.

Look for a little black dot in the center of a reddened area and scrape it off with a fingernail or credit card. Try not to squeeze the stinger with your fingers or tweezers, because that could release more venom.

Once you’ve removed the stinger, wash the area with soap and water. Then apply an ice pack for 15 minutes or so to minimize swelling and relieve pain. (If you don’t have an ice pack, grab a package of frozen vegetables or drop a few ice cubes in a plastic bag. Wrap whatever you’re going to use in a washcloth so it doesn’t touch your child’s skin directly.)

You may want to apply a paste of baking soda and water to the area, to soothe it and draw out some of the venom. (Simply dab it on, let it dry, and rinse it off.) I also heard that rubbing a clove of garlic on to the area, also helps draw out the venom.

Watch out for any allergic reactions like shortness of breath, wheezing, swollen tongue, hands, or face.

Call your Childs pediatrician immediately to see if you should go to the hospital or get an over the counter antihistamine.

Source: Baby Center

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under Babies, Childcare, First Aid, Health, Kids

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s